Monday, June 12, 2017

Interview with mystery author S. Courtney Killian

Mystery author S. Courtney Killian joins me today to chat about her new thriller, Days of the Kill.

Bio:
Having been in multiple toxic relationships, Courtney Killian has taken the hard road in life. Becoming angrier and angrier, she got the idea to write her first book, Days of the Kill, and noticed writing turned out to be a positive channel and became less angry over time. She is constantly working on getting her second book out, and has hopes of letting many people know why she writes and is very active in getting her story told.

Welcome, S. Courtney. Please tell us about your current release.
Days of the Kill is a murder mystery with a twist. What makes this different from other murder mysteries is the fact that it’s actually through the murderer’s eyes the entire time. Basically a small town girl turns into a murderer and tries to act like she’s not hiding anything all while balancing work, relationships, and family.

What inspired you to write this book?
I was in a toxic relationship at age 15. I didn’t realize how toxic it actually was until about a year after I left the man that dragged me down. I suddenly became angry that I allowed myself to be treated that way, and angry at him for doing that to me. I got to the point where I literally wanted to kill someone. I got the idea for the book out of the blue in the middle of the night one night after about three years of just sitting on anger and not being pleasant to be around. I fought the idea for about an hour, but then finally started writing it just so I could try and go back to sleep. Over time, I found myself becoming less angry, and it turned out that writing is actually a very positive channel and it went a long way in helping me heal from that relationship and the many other toxic relationships I have been in.

What exciting story are you working on next?
My next book is called The Path to Biological. It’s about three girls that are all adopted and decide to help each other find their biological families. They run into a few snags along the way. I poured a lot of myself into the book, and one of the characters is just like my toxic ex-boyfriend. It’s an exciting thriller!

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I first considered myself a writer when I found myself wanting to write every single day no matter what. It was a great feeling, and I just love how writing makes me feel.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
I would love to eventually write full time, but for now I write part time. I’m currently a caregiver for a special needs child, and I’ve done that for a little over two years now. I tend to write in five minute increments. I firmly believe that everyone has at least five minutes a day to write. Set a timer for five minutes. If that’s all I write, then at least I wrote for five minutes. If I have more time than that, then I set a timer for another five minutes. I just keep going with that pattern.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I can’t work on one thing for too long! I tend to go from story to story and always have several manuscripts going at once. I also seem to be hard to find when I’m writing. All of my electronics get turned off so I’m not distracted.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be a princess. Isn’t that every little girl’s dream?

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
If you have been in a toxic relationship, don’t be afraid to tell people. Don’t be afraid to start the conversation. Also, I hope you enjoy Days of the Kill.

Links:

No comments: