Thursday, April 14, 2016

Interview with songwriter-now-debut-novelist Tommy Scherer

Songwriter and debut science fiction author Tommy Scherer is here today to talk about his novel Soul Wars.

Bio:
Tommy’s book, Soul Wars, was inspired by his spiritual journey. He had an out-of-body experience in the 1970s. So taken was he by this event that he began to search for everything he could find on the subject, but discovered there was very little information to be had. However, through research and practice, he did come to know himself as a spiritual being, with a unique identity separate from the body. No less than 15 such out-of-body experiences later, Tommy began to spin an exciting sci-fi yarn that takes the human spirit and its potentials to the extreme.

Based on his revelations, he has written hundreds of original songs about these extraordinary journeys. In 2011, he began writing his first novel, Soul Wars, which reflects his understanding of life drawing upon his views of political, ethical, and moral reality of today’s society wrapped in a compelling drama set in the present and future filled with starships, flying saucers, laser weapons, intergalactic battles, and the ultimate struggle for all souls everywhere.
Born in New York City and raised on Long Island, Tommy Scherer attended the College of Santa Fe, New Mexico. Today he lives with his beautiful wife along with his daughter and son in Southern California.

He is currently at work on writing book two of Soul Wars.

Welcome, Tommy. Please tell us about your current release.
Soul Wars is a fast paced original sci-fi saga that ties flying saucers, laser rifles, love, and interstellar battles in with the intriguing concept of advanced spiritual beings who are able to leave their bodies and interact with the material world. It is a light, almost whimsical touch on a deadly serious activity coupled with a gripping story and an eerie sense of truth running throughout.

What inspired you to write this book?
My own spiritual experiences inspired me. I had an out-of-body experience in the 1970's, which got me interested in spirituality. I have since studied everything I could find on the subject, and after much research and other out-of-body experiences, I was inspired to incorporate my experiences into a sci-fi yarn to grapple with the human spirit and its potentials. Soul Wars is a product of my research, personal experiences and ideas of how understanding the spirit might influence our future.

What exciting story are you working on next?
The second book in the series, called Soul Wars II, The Enemy Revealed.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
In 2010, after I wrote some pamphlets on the human spirit and marriage. I then wrote a short autobiography called Long Island Boy Finds Truth. Additionally, I am a singer, songwriter, and musician. I have written several hundred songs and recorded several albums.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
I own and run a roofing company in L.A. and write part time. I run the roofing company during the day and write at night. I would consider myself an explorer of the human condition and I usually write about that in my songs and my books.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be a baseball player. In fact, I was a phenomenon in Syosset when I was in little league. Being MVP in my league for three consecutive years, I was the best athlete in my High School and sports were my life. My life changed when I met an individual who inspired me to take a look at my state as a person and began to make changes in the way I operated. This put me on a spiritual road that I am still on to this day.

Anything else you'd like to share with the readers?

Here are links for more information about me, and the book: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Amazon

Thanks for being here today, Tommy. Happy writing!

No comments: